Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

Can you believe it is already 2012! Time has flown. We've been hard at work here in the office, I've even got to go out in the field a couple times!

The biggest Trillium news for this grand new year....restoration projects! We are moving forward on the forest restoration thinning. Our forest practice application is approved and our contracts are almost complete.

Thinning will take place from January 16 to February 29. The end date may change based on weather and site conditions though. Expect about six weeks if all things go smoothly.

We are keeping the property open to users during this time. However, the trails in the thinning area (marked in green on the map below) will be closed Monday - Friday. Logging trucks will be using the main road so please move out of the way of any vehicles when you are out in the forest.

This is a great project and I'm very excited about being able to improve forest health and create even better wildlife habitat. The Trillium stewardship webpage talks more about thinning.

We are hoping to learn a lot from this test thin. Some of my learning objectives include:
  • Logistics for thinning operations and recreational users (signs, notices, etc)
  • How do our forest stands 'respond' to thinning
  • How does the public feel about forest restoration projects
  • Road infrastructure impacts
  • Wildlife usage changes (before, during, after)
  • Many, many more... :)
Easy to say we are going to get a lot of great things from this project, I'll keep all of you up to date.

On a more humorous note. I set up the boundary flagging (which I mentioned in a previous post). Well, what I didn't say is what a bugger it was to get it all placed! Talk about a dense forest! I did forest inventory for two summers in college and this ranks as one of my most time consuming transects (or maybe I'm just rusty). But I got to see more of the forest and look forward to seeing how it will look after the thinning.